A National Honor Society for Social Work Students
"Through Knowledge – The Challenge to Serve"
University of Texas at El Paso Chapter
The purpose of Phi Alpha Honor society is to provide a closer bond among students of social work and promote humanitarian goals and ideals. Phi Alpha fosters high standards of education for social workers and invites into membership those who have attained excellence in scholarship and achievement in social work.
An undergraduate student is eligible for membership after achieving the following national requirements and meeting local chapter requirements.
- Declared social work as a major
- Achieved sophomore status
- Completed 8 semester hours or 12 quarter hours of required social work courses
- Achieved an overall grade point average of 3.0 and 4.0 scale
- Achieved a 3.25 grade point average in required social work courses
A graduate student is eligible for membership after the following national requirements and meeting local chapter requirements.
- Completed one term of course work with the minimum number of social work credits as determined by the local chapter
- Achieved a minimum grade point average of 3.5 based on a 4.0 scale
- Local chapters may establish higher eligibility requirements
Membership is available to all full-time social work faculties.
Each chapter may select two persons each year for honorary membership. This recognition is available to persons outside the program who have made a significant contribution to the program and/or society.